International Rainwater Catchment Systems Association
International Rainwater Catchment Systems Conferences
Home
  Factsheets
  Conferences
  Next conference
  Proceedings
  1st, Hawaii
  2nd, St Thomas
  3rd, Khon Kaen
  4th, Manila
  5th, Taiwan
  6th, Nairobi
  7th, Beijing
  8th, Tehran
  9th, Petrolina
  10th, Mannheim
  11th, Texcoco
  12th, New Delhi
  13th, Sydney
  14th, Kuala Lumpur
  News
  Links
  Join IRCSA
  IRCSA Board
  Members

10th International Rainwater Catchment Systems Conference
"Rainwater International 2001"
Mannheim, Germany - September 2001

Section 4: Rainwater Catchment in Agriculture

Paper 4.2

The Effectiveness of Rainwater Catchment on Flood Control in Slope Land Area

K.F. Andrew Lo and Chao-Chun Huang
Department of Natural Resources
Chinese Culture University
Taipei
Taiwan
email: ufab0043@ms5.hinet.net

Introduction

Taiwan is a mountainous island. The total area is about 36,026 km2. The Central Mountain Range runs north to south, dissecting the island into two halves. Flatland with less than 100 m elevation comprises 26.4% of the total area. The remaining 73.6% is slopeland. Forest cover in higher elevation is about 46.6%. Along the Central Mountain Range, there are about 20 peaks exceeding 3,000 m. Rivers originate from mountain tops flow east and west to the Pacific Ocean and the Taiwan Strait, forming narrow river valleys as a result of torrential river flow. Suitable reservoir sites are limited.

The average annual rainfall is about 2,500 mm. However, rainfall is unevenly distributed both temporally and spatially. The north, central, south and east receive about 62%, 78%, 90%, and 79% of the total rainfall during the month from May to September, respectively. Wet and dry seasons are very pronounced. The available water resources are limited. Due to increases in population, economic development, housing areas, and agricultural land, slopeland ecology has been damaged, resulting in severe soil erosion and runoff, ruined water retention capacity, accelerated water pollution rate, and deteriorating sedimentation and water pollution problems in reservoirs.

Torrential typhoon rains often lead to massive soil movement and landslides; concentrated runoff and large peak flow, causing significant damages downstream in the Hsichih area, Taipei. The main objective of this study is to determine the effectiveness of storm water collection using small infiltration enhancement structures and retention ponds on storm runoff reduction and flood control.

PDF of full document (5pp, 42kb)


Note: The IRCSA proceedings section is still new and under active management, If you find any problems, ommissions or corrections please contact the administrator so we can put things right.
Top of Page