International Rainwater Catchment Systems Association
International Rainwater Catchment Systems Conferences
Home
  Factsheets
  Conferences
  Next conference
  Proceedings
  1st, Hawaii
  2nd, St Thomas
  3rd, Khon Kaen
  4th, Manila
  5th, Taiwan
  6th, Nairobi
  7th, Beijing
  8th, Tehran
  9th, Petrolina
  10th, Mannheim
  11th, Texcoco
  12th, New Delhi
  13th, Sydney
  14th, Kuala Lumpur
  News
  Links
  Join IRCSA
  IRCSA Board
  Members

10th International Rainwater Catchment Systems Conference
"Rainwater International 2001"
Mannheim, Germany - September 2001

Section 5: Legal and Political Aspects of Rainwater Harvesting

Paper 5.6

Rainwater Harvesting In South Asia: Education and Finance

Karamat Ali
Pakistan Water Partnership (PWP)
706-WAPDA House
Lahore
Pakistan
email: s.pwp@cgiar.org

Introduction

Rainwater is a major source of irrigation in many parts of Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bangladesh, Bhutan and the Maldives. About 60-70 percent of total cropped area is irrigated by watercourses and canals. Only about 30 percent of the area depends on rainfall. Since none of these countries channels rainwater into an integrated system, most of the rainwater mixes into the drainage effluent and is wasted. In some parts of India, rainwater is stored in water tanks for irrigation of crops, but due to non-availability of sufficient educational facilities and financial constraints, the practice of harvesting rainwater is very low in this region.

Rainwater in the big cities goes to waste and no consideration is given to save this precious source of irrigation and drinking. In most of the areas, the drainage channels are covered but inlets are provided to add up the rainwater into drainable effluents. By maintaining separate small channels/drains to drain out and bring rainwater to a center place for storage and keeping it unmixed with drainable effluent, it can be optimally utilized for justified purposes. This objective can be achieved by educating people of the methods and ways to conserve rainwater and store it for future use.

The financing of such activities is also a point of consideration. In fact, a substantial amount is required to implement the idea of having two separate channels: one for drainable effluents and the other for rainwater conservation. The financing can be made partially through self-sponsorship (about 70 percent of the total cost by the beneficiaries) and international and national/regional donor agencies (the rest 30 percent). Some of the works can be carried out by the beneficiaries by providing services instead of spending money over there.

PDF of full document (3pp, 13kb)


Note: The IRCSA proceedings section is still new and under active management, If you find any problems, ommissions or corrections please contact the administrator so we can put things right.
Top of Page