International Technical Training Course on Rainwater Harvesting and Utilization
July 19-August 31, 2004
As part of assisting program for the developing countries, the government of
the People's Republic of China is going to fund an international training course
on rainwater harvesting and utilization. Ministry of Commerce entrusts Gansu Research
Institute for Water Conservancy to execute this course in Lanzhou city of Gansu
province of China from July to August, 2004, with cooperation of International
Rainwater Catchment Association, the course is oriented for candidates from the
developing country in the World.
The course conducted from September 19-Octomber 22, 2003 was very successful,
40 participants from 19 countries attended the course
in MS word format (560 kb)
announcement in MS word format without pictures (250 kb)
Course Agenda (MS
form (MSWord, 44kb)
of target countries (MS Excel, 16kb)
1. Training Objectives
The course is designed
for professionals and management staffs who deals with water resources management,
rainfed agriculture, rural development and poverty alleviation in developing country,
through a systemic training on theoretic knowledge and practical technique, and
field study visiting and practical exercising as well as learning successful experience
of China on rainwater harvesting and utilization in past 20 years. It is expected
that all of the participants of the course will understand the basic theory, designing
skill, construction methodology of the rainwater harvesting system and the corresponding
approach of agricultural cultivation. As results of the course, most of the trainees
would have learned sufficient knowledge and be qualified to adopt the innovated
technique on rainwater harvesting and utilization in their own country.
2. Training Scheme
The training course scheduled to be conducted from 15 July to 31August 2004.
3. Venue of the Course
The course will be held in Gansu province of China. It is planned that lecturing
program will be taken place in the downtown of Lanzhou, and the field study, practice
exercise will be done in projects sites of rainwater harvesting and utilization,
in the middle and eastern part of Gansu province. Gansu is one of the most critical
provinces on water resources in China, and it was a pioneer of China on researching
and adopting of the innovated technology on rainwater utilization. Gansu is the
leading province on rural rainwater harvesting. , It is regarded as a cradle of
technology of rainwater harvesting and utilization in China, so as an ideal place
for study on this subject.
4. Management of the Course
The authority of the course is Ministry of Commerce of P. R. China, The Ministry
of Water Resources and Gansu Provincial Government supports the course in terms
of training infrastructure and teaching facility etc. Gansu Provincial Water Resources
Bureau is authorized to steer theoperation of the course, and Gansu Research Institute
for Water Conservancy is entrusted to organize the course.
Gansu Research Institute for Water Conservancy (GRWC) is leading institution
for technique on rainwater harvesting of the province and the engineering supporting
agency for implementation. It has ever been involved in a number of national key
projects related to rainwater harvesting and utilization, At present GRWC officiates
the task of secretariat of the Committee of Rainwater Utilization (CRU) of China
Hydraulic Engineering Society. International Rainwater Catchment System Association
contributes the course with aiding on course design and lecturing etc. Rainwater
Utilization Committee of China Hydraulic Engineering Society, FAO, India Rainwater
Club, China Irrigation and Drainage Centre, Gansu Agricultural University as well
as Gansu Academy of Agriculture Sciences will support the course for lecturing
5. Contents of the Course
5. 1: Lectures
- The position of rainwater utilization in the Integrated Water Resources
- The significances of RWH
- Development of rainwater utilization and its prospect
- Components of rainwater harvesting project
5.1.2 Planning of RWH
- Basic data needed for planning
- Justifying the necessity of RWH projects
- Layout of RWH system
- Domestic water use and irrigation quota
- Reliability of domestic water supply and irrigation
- Determining area of rainwater collection field
- Determining storage capacity
5.1.3 Designing of rainwater collection sub-system
- Types of rainwater collection field and their designing
- Design of water interception and conveyance
5.1.4 Designing of water storage
- Types of water storage structure and their selection
- Dimensioning water storage structure
- Structural design of water storage
5.1.5 Subordinate facilities
- Water purification facility
- Water intake, output and drainage pipes
- Pump selection
5.1.6 RWH water quality management
- Introduction to the world and China water quality specification
- Quality issues in the collected rainwater
- Quality control measures
5.1.7 Runoff Agriculture
- Introduction on runoff agriculture
- Technique of runoff agriculture
5.1.8 Water-saving irrigation with RWH system
- Drip irrigation
- Seepage irrigation
- The other simplified methods
5.1.9 Agriculture measures associated with RWH irrigation
- Chemical agents for moisture retention
5.1.10 Construction method for RWH structures
- Construction methods for main types of building materials
- Construction of rainwater collection field
- Construction of rainwater storage tank
- Construction of subordinate facilities
5.1.11 Operation and maintenance of RWH system
- Operation of RWH system
- Maintenance of RWH system
5.1.12 Economic evaluation of RWH system
- Introduction to the cost estimation methods in China
- National economic evaluation
- Financial evaluation
5.1.13 Political, social, legal and institutional consideration on RWH
- Effect of rainwater harvesting for sustainable water resources development
in the semi-arid areas.
- Successful experiences on institutional, organizational, managerial and political
aspects on RWH .
- Legal and cultural aspects of rainwater harvesting and utilization
- Chinese experiences on the research, demonstration and extension for the
- Women's participation on rainwater harvesting and utilization
5. 2: Presentation and Seminar
- Application of rainwater harvesting system on rebuilding ecologic and environment
- Experience and technique on rainwater harvesting and utilization in island.
- Application of RWH system for developing greenhouses.
- Rainwater utilization in the urban area
5. 3: Field study tour and practical exercise
(1) Practical exercise
Field practice and construction exercise is programmed in the course for the
contents of designing and construction of rainwater catchment and water storage
tanks, the time scheduled on practice exercise is about two week.
(2) Field study tour
An abundance and interesting program for field study tour has been scheduled
against to each of the key subjects of training contents, the schedule of study
tour takes 15% of total training agenda.
6. Training Pattern
The pattern of the training program is an integration of theoretic lecture,
seminar, discussion, workshop, demonstration, field study tour, practical exercise
etc, adopting the participatory approach. The case study for practice exercise
will take the local condition of the country where the participant comes from.
Therefore, participants are required to prepare a paper concerning the rainwater
utilization condition in their own country or region where they come from, and
better have necessary hydrological and metrological information for case study.
The lecturing language of the course is English, so the participant is required
to be qualified on English proficiency in reading, listening, speaking and writing.
Evaluation will be taken on the performance and achievements of the participant
according to certain criteria. A certificate will be awarded to participant who
has fulfilled the course successfully.
9. Criteria for admissions
The participants of the course would be professionals and managers who deal
with water resources management, rainfed agriculture, rural development and/or
poverty alleviation in developing country. Female applicant is encouraged. The
participant should meet to the following criteria :
- Has completed a diploma study on water conservancy, agronomy or other relevant
- Has two years of experience on water management, agricultural development
or other relevant fields.
- The age of applicant would be between 22-45.
- Health condition is well and has no any infectious diseases.
- When attending the course, no companion of family member is permitted.
- Has to observe the Chinese law and regulation, and respect the local custom
during stay of the training course in China
- Willing to prepare a paper about rainwater utilization condition in your
country, and take necessary meteorological and hydrological information for the
case study on the course.
10. Expenses of the course
- Chinese Government will take the cost including training cost, accommodation
and daily pocket money at a ration 30 Yuan RMB per day. This money will be managed
by Gansu Research Institute for Water Conservancy as a package.
- For any other costs such as international travel cost including transit between
home of participant to Lanzhou/China would be borne by the government of your
country, or funding support from other relevant organization applied by the participants.
- The insurance fee, cost of medical care and salary of participant etc. should
be provided by the government of your country, which sends the participant for
- Gansu Research Institute for Water Conservancy will make arrangement for
accommodation for participants during their stay on course. The participant will
be accommodated in double room. If any participant needs a single room, he should
pay for the additional money himself.
11. Applications and Admission
- Applicant will be nominated by the corresponding authority, the completed
application form should bear the endorsement and recommendation by the concerned
government agency and be submitted with attachment of a valid health certificate
to the economic and commercial consul of the Chinese Embassy in your country for
verification and endorsement. Then it will be transferred to Gansu Research Institute
for Water conservancy for selection and approval.
- The Chinese Embassy in your country will issue the Admission Notice to the
accepted applicant through the concerned authority of the applicant's government.
The participant is advised to take the Admission Notice as a proof for visa application
and other necessary formalities to the Course.
The course organizer will not take any responsibility for risk occurred on participant
during your stay in China for course, which includes death, accident, illness
and loss of property, etc.
13. Contacting agency
Economic and Commercial Consul of the Chinese Embassy in your country
14. Address of the organizer
Gansu Research Institute for Water Conservancy
120 Gaolan Road,
Lanzhou, Gansu Province, PC: 730030
People's Republic of China
Course Director: Ma Cheng Xiang
Tel: ++86 (0)931 8812463(O),++86 (0)931 8505562(H)
Fax:++86 (0)931 8812463/8883294
Mobile Phone: ++ 86 (0)13893354149